Thursday, April 15, 2021

Listening to Those Passing By

Hello, Friends!

It's been a weird week for me. My Monday was full of entering, packing, and shipping/delivering orders. I took a personal day Tuesday, which is when I normally start writing my blog. Side note; starting it on Tuesday gives me time to think about what I want to add or subtract from what I've already written and publish it on Wednesday. This process typically happens in the shower and I have no idea why, but I go with it. On to Wednesday. I was trying to work on the website but that was halted by behind the scenes maintenance that was required. I spent some time making a fun 'reel' on Instagram for the gallery. Speaking of Instagram, you can follow me and the gallery. Just open the camera on your phone and point it at the QR codes.

I decided to write about statements I used to hear outside of the brick and mortar C2C Gallery on Washington St. We kept the door propped open all summer, even with the A/C on. Summers in Downtown Grand Haven are amazing. Pre covid, the streets were always full of tourists. We had visitors from all over the world. In Grand Haven. Shocking right?! I often heard people talking as they walked by or stood in the doorway deciding if they wanted to come in. Here is what I heard the most:

  • "Ohhhh that's an art gallery, we can't afford anything in there."
    • This statement bothered me a little but I understood. It IS an art gallery and for some reason art is associated with being very expensive. Our gallery has handmade items starting at $4.25. If only some had taken the chance to stop in, they may have found a piece of art they loved, for under $10. My advice to you, go in the gallery. You never know what you might find. 
  • "Nope, that is not a store for kids, we are not going in there."
    • NOOOOOOO this makes me so sad. Especially seeing kids that really wanted to come in, walking right by our store. My suggestion is take the kids in, show the kids, teach the kids. Taking your children into a gallery, in my opinion, is an incredible teaching moment. Teaching them about handmade, teaching them to respect property that doesn't belong to them, teaching them self control. Yes we had breakable items, in fact, the one time a piece was broken on my shift, was broken by an adult. 
  • "That's just a pottery shop"
    • If only they had just popped into the store they would've seen we offered so much more than pottery. We also had: Paintings, Prints (Hand-pulled and Reproduction), Photography, Handmade Jewelry, Handblown Glass, Hand-poured Candles, Hand Painted Scarves, Wood Bowls and Boards and more. 
  • "Oh, this isn't the pickle place, I was looking for the toasted pickle." 
    • People used to come in through the back door of our building. We had an amazing mural on the back wall that was painted by Cyndi's daughter, Camille. When you look closely at the mural, around the door was a mouth, so that was an easy mistake. I wanted to give the Toasted Pickle a shout out. I used to eat lunch there at least once a week. I have to say, I have saved lots of money since we moved online.  
I highly recommend taking a chance and walking in a gallery or store you've never visited. You never know what surprises hide inside! 

I hope you all have a wonderful week, be safe and well!

Artfully Yours, 
Sarah
C2C Gallery Manager



No comments:

Post a Comment

Listening to Those Passing By

Hello, Friends! It's been a weird week for me. My Monday was full of entering, packing, and shipping/delivering orders. I took a persona...