Wednesday, April 7, 2021

Let's Seize the Clay

Hello Friends! 

I thought todays blog should be about clay and some of the terminology I learned.

As I mentioned in my previous blog, I was somewhat clueless during my orientation. There was a multitude of general art terminology that I did not know. I was embarrassed that I didn't know some very basic information about the product I was selling. I wrote down words and looked them up later or asked Cyndi. She is always helpful when I have questions making it much easier for me to ask them. Nevertheless, I asked, I listened and I learned. 

I would like to reiterate that I'm not an art expert, I am, however, a gallery manager passionate about her job. The definitions below are almost verbatim how I explained processes to a customer in the store. Let's dig in!


  • Wheel Thrown - created on a potters wheel. 
  • Bisque Firing - commonly the first time pottery goes in the kiln to make sure the clay is completely dry before applying glaze.
    • Side Note: Glaze is a topic that I struggle with. I know there is a lot of chemistry involved and pots going in don't look like the pots coming out. 
    • Before Firing - After Firing 

  • Raku - raku is a firing process in which the pottery is removed from the kiln when its fire red and placed in another container full of newspaper or sawdust (something combustible) and covered to finish the firing process. Raku pots are not safe to eat from and generally do not hold water.
  • Wood Fired - wood fired is another firing process, typically done in an Anagama Kiln, which is fueled with wood and may take 5 days to complete. Another interesting tidbit about wood firing is that generally a glaze is not applied to the exterior. The finished color and texture is based on where it was in the kiln and if it had been exposed to wind, fire, ash, etc. The exterior of wood fired pots cannot be replicated.
  • Crystalline - a special glaze that produces crystals from a chemical reaction between zinc and titanium. Crystals form during the cooling process in the kiln. (In my opinion, pots with a crystalline glaze look like glass.) 
This covers the very basic vocabulary surrounding clay. I thoroughly enjoy having conversations about our artists and their art. Being surrounded by, and being able to talk about art every day is good for the soul. I'm still surrounded by art but find myself missing the daily interactions with customers. My hope is that this blog will give me the sense of being in the gallery talking with all of you! 

Have an amazing week! 


Artfully Yours, 
Sarah
C2C Gallery Manager

 










No comments:

Post a Comment

Listening to Those Passing By

Hello, Friends! It's been a weird week for me. My Monday was full of entering, packing, and shipping/delivering orders. I took a persona...